But we here at the Red Cross want to make sure that everyone in Central California celebrates safely and responsibly. So while you’re enjoying an ice cold beverage and lighting some Piccolo Petes, we want you to keep a few safety tips in mind:
1. Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
2. Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
3. Make sure the person lighting the fireworks is wearing eye protection.
4. Only light one firework at a time and never attempt to relight a “dud.”
5. Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
6. Never point or throw a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures, or flammable materials.
7. Leave any area immediately where untrained amateurs are using fireworks.
8. Make sure your fireworks displays are in a cleared area, away from foliage or other objects that can easily catch fire.
9. Make sure you’re aware of fireworks restrictions for your community.
And lastly, make sure you have fun! From all of us here at the Red Cross…
Regional Director of Communications